Parents should have to wonder how their child is performing in their tutoring sessions. Every Talentmaster should do a scheduled check-in update every four sessions or so. In this check-in, give them an honest, effective status update. Parents love getting updates. It shows you care about the student and it makes the parents feel that their money is well spent. Every check-in, ensure you ask for feedback as well. Feedback is the most valuable information you can gain from your clients. A few points you should touch on during the check-in should be:
1. The student’s grade improvement so far (if academic class)
2. How they are doing with the current material
3. Where they are relative to their class / average students
4. How you expect their future progression to be
5. Asking for feedback from both the parent and student
If you are teaching a non-academic class, (ping-pong, piano, etc.) give your best assessment of how the student is improving to replace any equivalent grade improvement. For example, if you are teaching basketball, “Stephanie’s shooting form is a lot better than when we started.'' It is more difficult than saying, “she scored a 94% on her exam”, but should still be done.